The Jewish Eye
Kosher by Design: Entertains
Kosher by Design: Entertains
Fabulous Recipes for Parties and Every Day
By Susie Fishbein
Photography by John Uher
Artscroll/Shaar Press - Mesorah Publications, New York: 2005
Reviewed by Simon Bonim - November 5, 2007
>From the best-selling author of the Kosher by Design series comes another, unbeatable, must-have kosher cookbook for cooks of every skill level. In this new cookbook, Susie Fishbein tackles what may seem like the most challenging aspect of cooking - cooking for guests! In Kosher by Design: Entertains, Fishbein makes entertaining easy, elegant, and 100% kosher. Gorgouslly illustrated with photography by John Uher, this cookbook not only provides you with more than 250 new recipes, but also provides tips on throwing a party, decorating, and menu suggestions. In addition, Fishbein also provides a buying guide and holiday specific guaidance - such as tips when cooking for Pesach (Passover).
In total, what this cookbook does is not only provide you with a wealth of easy to follow recipes that will have your preparing gourmet styled dishes with ease, but more important, this book will give you the confidence and knowledge that you need to become an effective and confident party hostess. The recipes in this cookbook are oragnized by catagory, such as appetizers, soups, salads, poulty, meat, side dishes, and desserts.
Scattered throughout the book you'll also find seven party formats, each of which includes a complete menu. These projects also include hints on organizing and hosting the party, illustrations of the table set-ups, and general tips that will help your party run smoothly. The nine party formats that are detailed in this cookbook include:
These party formats can be followed rigorously, with much success, or you can use them as a foundation upon which to build your own party. They can also be used as a creative sound-board from which to develop your own uniqe party plans.
- Engagement Party (cocktail party format)
- Just for Guys (family style format)
- Ladies' Lunch (stylish lunch format)
- Oh Baby! (dessert buffet format)
- Dinner for Two (small plated meal format)
- Family Outing (picnic format)
- Anniversary Party (formal dinner format)
- Housewarming Party (buffet format)
- Summer Celebration (outdoor entertaining)
While these party formats and the entertaining tips that fill this book are invaluable by themselves, the heart of this book is undoubtedly, Fishbein's recipes. The recipes use, for the most part, easy to find ingredients, and Fishbein's detailed and understandable directions on how to prepare each dish makes it easy for even novice cooks to prepare these dishes. Throughout, Fishbein also offers handy cooking tips, ranging from how to pit an olive to how to keep cooked pasta from sticking together. Alone, or combined with the other books in the Kosher by Design series, this book is a must have for every cook who seeks to produce gourmet-styled and tasty kosher dishes that will delight everyone from the pickiest to the poshest eater!
Here's a sampling of some of the recipes that you'll find within the pages of this invaluable cookbook:
- Cookie Crunch Brownies
- Strawberry Apple Kugel
- Pomegranate Glazed London Broil with Caramelized Onions
- Homestyle Roasted Chicken
- Cornish Hens with Pistachio Paste
- Mango-Tuna Salad with Goat Cheese, Oven Roasted Tomatoes and Honeyed Walnuts
- Layered Southwest Salad
- Yellow Tomato Basil Bisque
- Cajun Sweet Potato Latkes
- Juniper Berry and Peppercorn Crusted Skirt Steak with Spiced Onions
- Lamb Kabobs on Eggplant Purée
- Spinach Linguine with Walnut Cream Sauce
- Broccolini with Mustard Vinaigrette
- Salmon Primavera
- and my favorite recipe, so far is: Caramelized Apple Cheesecake!
The other cookbooks in this series include:
Back to top
- Kosher by Design, by Susie Fishbein.
Picture-Perfect Food for the Holidays and Every Day. This is the first book in the best-selling Kosher by Design series of cookbooks, and it features more than 250 recipes that will enhance any holiday celebration or which can be used for everyday fare.
- Kosher by Design: Kids in the Kitchen, by Susie Fishbein.
A collection of 80 kid-friendly, kosher recipes that will have your kids eager to learn how to cook and to help out in the kitchen.
- Kosher by Design: Short on Time, by Susie Fishbein.
140 brand new, gourmet-styled quick and easy to prepare Kosher recipes from the author of the Kosher by Design series.
Questions or Comments? Send an email to:
Copyright © The Jewish Eye 2001 - 2017 All Rights Reserved