The Jewish Eye
Yiddish Textbooks & Study Aids
Recommended Reading Lists
Also visit our A Taste of Yiddish Reading List. This list includes books on Yiddish Trivia, Books Translated into Yiddish, Slang and Idiom Dictionaries, as well as books that highlight Yiddish words, phrases, and culture.
Back to top
- College Yiddish - 50th Anniversary Edition, by Uriel Weinreich.
Since 1949, College Yiddish has been the preeminent textbook for english-speaking student embarking upon the study of Yiddish at the college-level. This classic text is still as relevant today as when first published and it is an ideal reference book for modern students of Yiddish.
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning Yiddish, by Rabbi Benjamin Blech.
An engaging and instructive overview to Yiddish language, history, and culture. This is a phenomenal introductory text's on learning Yiddish.
- I Really Love Yiddish, by Emanual S. Goldsmith.
A Mini-Course in Yiddish based on 30 gems of poetry, folksong, and humor. This course consists of a booklet and an audio cassette.
- Learning Yiddish in Easy Stages, by Marvin Zuckerman & Marion Herbst.
Provides grammar, expressions, dialogues and songs with easy exercises for the beginner Yiddish student.
- Modern English-Yiddish / Yiddish-English Dictionary, by Uriel Weinreich.
With more than 20,000 entries, this is the most comprehensive English-Yiddish / Yiddish-English Dictionary available.
- Thesaurus of the Yiddish Language, by Nahum Stutchkoff.
Der Oytser fun Der Yidisher Shrakh - includes 150,000 Yiddish words, idioms, phrases, similes and proverbs.
- Yiddish II, by Mordkhe Schaechter.
A Textbook for Intermediate Courses.
- Yiddish: A Linguistic Introduction, by Neil G. Jacobs.
This broad yet comprehensive introduction provides an authoritative overview of all aspects of Yiddish language and linguistics.
- Yiddish: An Introduction to the Language, Vol. I, by Sheva Zucker.
An introductory Yiddish textbook suitable for serious students at both the high school and college level.
- Yidish af Yidish, by David Goldberg .
Grammatical, Lexical, and Conversational Materials for the Second and Third Years of Study.
Questions or Comments? Send an email to:
Copyright © The Jewish Eye 2001 - 2018 All Rights Reserved